- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- A Farmhouse in Malhamdale, Known as 'Kirkby Priory, near Malham' (page 26 of the Whitworth Book of Drawings)
- (?) 1800
- Medium and Support
- Graphite on wove paper
- 14.6 × 21.7 cm, 5 ¾ × 8 ½ in
‘near Malham' lower left, by Thomas Girtin; 'Kirkby’ lower centre, by Thomas Girtin; ‘38’ lower left; 'Kirkby Church' on the back, by Thomas Girtin
- Part of
- Whitworth Book of Drawings
- Object Type
- Outline Drawing
- Subject Terms
- Monastic Ruins; Yorkshire View
A Farmhouse in Malhamdale, Known as ‘Kirkby Priory, near Malham’
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 433i as 'Kirkby Priory, Yorkshire'; '1801'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001, 2002 and 2022
Sale at Platt Vicarage, Rusholme, Manchester, 1898; sketchbook bought by 'Shepherd'; then by descent to F. W. Shepherd; his sale, Sotheby’s, 7 July 1977, lot 46; bought by Baskett and Day; bought by the Gallery, 1977
Hardie, 1938–39, no.9, p.93 as 'Kirkby Priory'; Hill, 1999, p.58
- 1 Details are transcribed in the Documents section of the Archive (1804 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work