- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- A Distant View of Bolton Abbey
- (?) 1800
- Medium and Support
- Watercolour on paper
- 14.3 × 21 cm, 5 ⅝ × 8 ¼ in
‘Bolton Abby Yorks’ lower left, by Thomas Girtin
- Part of
- Whitworth Book of Drawings
- Object Type
- On-the-spot Colour Sketch
- Subject Terms
- Monastic Ruins; River Scenery; Yorkshire View
A Distant View of Bolton Abbey
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 378i as 'Bolton Abbey ... Done on the spot'; '1801'
- Description Source(s)
- Girtin Archive Photograph
Probably bought by Samuel Rogers (1763–1855), £8; ... Henry Oppenheimer (1859–1932); Lord Mackintosh; Professor Evelyn Davison Telford (1876–1961); his posthumous sale, Sotheby’s, 14 March 1962, lot 69; bought by the Fine Art Society, London, £520
Hardie, 1938–39, p.90
- 1 Details are transcribed in the Documents section of the Archive (1804 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work