- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- Chelsea Reach, Looking towards Battersea (page 11 of the Whitworth Book of Drawings)
- (?) 1801
- Medium and Support
- Graphite on wove paper (watermark: W ELGAR / 1801)
- 14.6 × 21.7 cm, 5 ¾ × 8 ½ in
‘Battersea Reach’ lower left, by Thomas Girtin; ‘22’ lower left
- Part of
- Whitworth Book of Drawings
- Object Type
- Outline Drawing; Replica by Girtin
- Subject Terms
- London and Environs; River Scenery; The River Thames; Wind and Water Mills
- The Whitworth, University of Manchester
Chelsea Reach, Looking towards Battersea
Chelsea Reach, Looking towards Battersea (The White House, Chelsea) (TG1740)
Chelsea Reach, Looking towards Battersea (TG1741)
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 337i as 'The White House at Chelsea'; '1799–1800'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001, 2002 and 2022
Sale at Platt Vicarage, Rusholme, Manchester, 1898; sketchbook bought by 'Shepherd'; then by descent to F. W. Shepherd; his sale, Sotheby’s, 7 July 1977, lot 46; bought by Baskett and Day; bought by the Gallery, 1977
Hardie, 1934, p.7; Hardie, 1938–39, no.2, pp.91–92 as 'Battersea Reach'; Mayne, 1949, p.55; Girtin and Loshak, 1954, pp.39–40, p.70; Smith, 2002b, p.114
- 1 Details are transcribed in the Documents section of the Archive (1804 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work