- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- A Distant View of Whitby
- (?) 1800
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and watercolour on wove paper
- 14.3 × 19.2 cm, 5 ⅝ × 7 ½ in
- Part of
- Whitworth Book of Drawings
- Object Type
- On-the-spot Colour Sketch
- Subject Terms
- Coasts and Shipping; Yorkshire View
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 346 as 'Tynemouth ... Out-of-Door Sketch'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2016
Thomas Calvert Girtin (1801–74); then by descent to Thomas Girtin (1874–1960); given to Tom Girtin (1913–94), c.1938; 'the property of a Lady'; her sale, Sotheby’s, 13 November 1997, lot 44 as 'Distant View of Whitby, Yorkshire', £89,950; Jacqui Eli Safra; his sale, Sotheby's, 6 July 2016, lot 349, £81,250
Cambridge, 1920, no.39 as ’Tynemouth Sands’; London, 1934b, no.915; Amsterdam, 1936, no.219; Agnew’s, 1953a, no.21; Leeds, 1958, no.48; London, 1959, no.723; London, 1962a, no.165; London, 1968a, no.547; Manchester, 1975, no.2; Manchester, 1983, no.24 as ’Tynemouth, Northumberland’
Gibson, 1916, p.216, p.220; Davies, 1924, pl.37 as 'Tynemouth'; Binyon, 1933, p.92; Wilenski, 1933, p.181, p.206; Hardie, 1934, p.17; Mayne, 1949, p.104; Williams, 1952, p.102; Girtin and Loshak, 1954, pp.82–83; Lemaître, 1955, p.193; Hardie, 1966–68, vol.2, p.19; Bauer, 1998, p.71; Hill, 1999, p.13
- 1 John Girtin lists this amongst the contents of his brother's studio. Details are transcribed in the Documents section of the Archive (1804 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work