- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802) after Giovanni Antonio Canal (Canaletto) (1697-1768)
- Venice: The Grand Canal, Looking North East from near to the Palazzo Corner to the Palazzo Contanari degli Scrigni
- 1797 - 1798
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and watercolour on laid paper
- 20.3 × 34.9 cm, 8 × 13 ¾ in
- Subject Terms
- Italian View: Venice
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 221 as 'View on the Grand Canal, Venice'; '1797'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001 and 2018
John Henderson (1764-1843); then by descent to John Henderson II (1797-1878); bequeathed to the Museum, 1878
Binyon, 1898–1907, no.90 as 'View on the Grand Canal, Venice'
- 1 This well-informed account of Girtin’s life and career is transcribed in full in the Documents section of the Archive (1803 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work