- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802) after Giovanni Antonio Canal (Canaletto) (1697-1768)
- Venice: The Grand Canal, from Santa Maria della Carità, Looking to San Marco Basin
- 1797 - 1798
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and watercolour on laid paper
- 20.5 × 48.8 cm, 8 ⅛ × 19 ¼ in
- Subject Terms
- Italian View: Venice; Panoramic Format
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 222 as 'View on the Grand Canal'; '1797'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001 and 2018
John Henderson (1764–1843); then by descent to John Henderson II (1797–1878) (lent to London, 1875); bequeathed to the Museum, 1878
London, 1875, no.123 as ’The Grand Canal, Venice’; London, 1953a, no.39; Manchester, 1975, no.24; Birmingham, 1993, no.109
Binyon, 1898–1907, no.91 as 'The Grand Canal, Venice, Looking Seaward'; Davies, 1924, p.23 as 'The Grand Canal, Venice, from a painting by Canaletto'
- 1 This well-informed account of Girtin’s life and career is transcribed in full in the Documents section of the Archive (1803 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work