- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- The West Front of Peterborough Cathedral
- (?) 1794
- Medium and Support
- Graphite on two pieces of wove paper
- 40.8 × 28.4 cm, 16 ⅛ × 11 ⅛ in overall; the upper sheet: 13.4 × 28.4 cm, 5 ¼ × 11 ⅛ in
- Object Type
- Outline Drawing
- Subject Terms
- Cambridgeshire; Gothic Architecture: Cathedral View
The West Front of Peterborough Cathedral
The West Front of Peterborough Cathedral (TG1017)
The West Front of Peterborough Cathedral (TG1018)
The West Front of Peterborough Cathedral (TG1019)
The West Front of Peterborough Cathedral (TG1020)
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 84i as 'Peterborough Cathedral'; '1794'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001 and 2002
G. B. Mountford; bought from him by Thomas Girtin (1874–1960), 1939, 18 gns; Tom Girtin (1913–94); bought by John Baskett on behalf of Paul Mellon (1907–99), 1970; presented to the Center, 1975
Agnew’s, 1953a, no.22; London, 1962a, no.116; New Haven, 1986a, no.21; London, 2002, no.70
Kitson, 1986, p.7
- 1 The text accompanying the engraving of ‘Lincoln Cathedral’ (see the print after TG1008) notes that ‘James Moore … visited this Cathedral in the year 1794, accompanied by Mr. Girtin’.
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work