- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- The Valley of the Glaslyn, near Beddgelert (page 15 of the Whitworth Book of Drawings)
- 1800 - 1801
- Medium and Support
- Watercolour on wove paper
- 14.6 × 21.7 cm, 5 ¾ × 8 ½ in
‘Beddgelert’ on the back, by Thomas Girtin
- Part of
- Whitworth Book of Drawings
- Object Type
- Colour Sketch: Studio Work
- Subject Terms
- Hills and Mountains; North Wales
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 361 as 'Beddgelert ... Done on the spot'; '1800'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001, 2002 and 2022
Sale at Platt Vicarage, Rusholme, Manchester, 1898; sketchbook bought by 'Shepherd; then by descent to F. W. Shepherd; his sale, Sotheby’s, 7 July 1977, lot 46; bought by Baskett and Day; bought by the Gallery, 1977
Hardie, 1938–39, no.4, p.92; Mayne, 1949, p.55; NACF, Report, 1977, p.119; Lyles, 2000, p.142; Bishop, 2018–19, pp.92–93
- 1 John Girtin lists this amongst the contents of his brother's studio. Details are transcribed in the Documents section of the Archive (1804 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work