- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802) after Charles-Louis Clérisseau (1721-1820)
- The Temple of Augustus at Pula in Istria
- 1797 - 1798
- Medium and Support
- Graphite, pen and ink and brush and ink on wove paper
- 40.5 × 54.8 cm, 16 × 21 ⅝ in
‘T Girtin’ lower left, by Thomas Girtin (the signature has been cut, suggesting that it once extended onto an original mount which has been lost)
- Object Type
- Outline Drawing; Work from a Known Source: Foreign Master
- Subject Terms
- Ancient Ruins
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 342 as 'Tempio di Pola'; '1799–1800'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001 and 2018
John Henderson (1764–1843); then by descent to John Henderson II (1797–1878) (lent to London, 1875); bequeathed to the Museum, 1878
Binyon, 1898–1907, no.104 as 'A Ruined Temple'
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work