Girtin generally made few changes to Moore’s compositions, in this case adding a simple figure group in the foreground and inventing a lively skyscape that is not present in the original sketch. Girtin did, however, correct Moore’s faulty perspective and succeeded in giving the ruined east end of the church a more monumental quality so that his watercolour more closely approximates the east end’s actual height than the amateur’s on-the-spot drawing. The cathedral at St Andrews was the largest in Scotland when it was dedicated in 1318 and it became the centre of the Catholic Church in Scotland. Following the Reformation, the cathedral was abandoned in 1561 in favour of the local parish church and the building was left to fall into the ruined state recorded by Moore in 1792. Moore made at least two other drawings of the cathedral on 30 August, from one of which (see figure 1) he commissioned Dayes to produce a view of the ruined east end from a different angle (see figure 2). It was this composition that was engraved for Robert Forsyth’s The Beauties of Scotland (Forsyth, 1805–8, vol.4, p.96).
About this Work