For full functionality of this site it is necessary to enable JavaScript. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Works Thomas Girtin after (?) Edward Dayes

The Queen’s Palace, or Buckingham House

1790 - 1791

Primary Image: TG0034: Thomas Girtin (1775–1802), after (?) Edward Dayes (1763–1804), The Queen's Palace, or Buckingham House, 1790–91, graphite, watercolour and pen and ink on wove paper, squared for transfer, 9.8 cm, 3 ⅞ in diam., on paper 18.4 × 12.5 cm, 7 ¼ × 4 ⅞ in. Royal Collection Trust, Windsor (RCIN 917140).

Photo courtesy of Royal Collection Trust / © His Majesty King Charles III 2023 (All Rights Reserved)

Print after: Charles Taylor (1756–1828), after Thomas Girtin (1775–1802), engraving, 'The Queen's Palace' for The Temple of Taste, no.1, 1 November 1794, 12.5 cm, 4 ⅞ in. Reprinted in The Public Edifices of the British Metropolis, no.11, 1820. Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection Library.

Photo courtesy of Yale Center for British Art (Public Domain)

Thomas Girtin (1775-1802) after (?) Edward Dayes (1763-1804)
  • The Queen’s Palace, or Buckingham House
1790 - 1791
Medium and Support
Graphite, watercolour and pen and ink on wove paper, squared for transfer
9.8 cm, 3 ⅞ in diam., on paper 18.4 × 12.5 cm, 7 ¼ × 4 ⅞ in
Part of
Object Type
Drawing for a Print
Subject Terms
London Architecture

Catalogue Number
Girtin & Loshak Number
1 as '1789–90'
Description Source(s)
Collection Website


Oppé, 1950, no.274, p.53; Girtin, 1952, p.115; Charles, 2020, p.244

About this Work

This drawing by Girtin for the first plate of Charles Taylor’s (1756–1823) periodical The Temple of Taste was published on 1 November 1794, though it is likely to have been produced earlier. Girtin’s watercolour is based on an untraced sketch made by his master, Edward Dayes (1763–1804), which the master used as the basis for a large-scale watercolour dated 1790 (see figure 1). This was later engraved as The Promenade, St James’ Park and another print of the same scene, just showing the buildings and a few figures, followed in 1799 (see figure 2). In contrast to Dayes’ views, which use various combinations of trees to frame the building, Girtin simplified the composition and made the figures smaller, as befitted a publication that concentrated on London’s architectural highlights. The Queen’s Palace, formerly Buckingham House, was bought by the Crown in 1761 and was remodelled for the use of Queen Charlotte between 1762 and 1776 before beginning the next stage of its eventual transformation into Buckingham Palace at the command of George IV.

Girtin’s drawing has been squared for transfer. This is presumably because the drawing is actually smaller than the print and would have had to be enlarged for engraving to a consistent scale. This, and the fact that the work was the first of a number of Girtin’s architectural subjects to be published in The Temple of Taste, suggests that it might also have been one of the initial drawings executed by Girtin, and it follows from this that it was almost certainly made in Dayes’ studio. In all Girtin may have made as many as twenty-one drawings for Taylor’s publication, though this is one of only six that are known to survive, including The Monument (TG0030) and The Banqueting House, Whitehall (TG0039).

1790 - 1791

The Monument


1790 - 1791

The Banqueting House, Whitehall


by Greg Smith

Place depicted

Revisions & Feedback

The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.

Please help us to improve this catalogue

If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.