- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- The Market Rooms, Weymouth
- (?) 1797
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and watercolour on laid paper
- 17.4 × 25.9 cm, 6 ⅞ × 10 ¼ in
‘Market Rooms at Weymouth’ lower centre, by Thomas Girtin
- Object Type
- On-the-spot Colour Sketch
- Subject Terms
- Picturesque Vernacular; The West Country: Devon and Dorset
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 195 as 'Old Roofs, Weymouth'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001
Lord Plymouth; Sir Alfred Hammond Aykroyd, 2nd Baronet (1894–1965); his sale, Christie’s, 23 January 1948, lot 46 as 'Old Houses'; Gilbert Davis (1899-1983); bought from him by the Gallery, 1959
Huntington, 1993, no catalogue
- 1 The financial records of the artist's brother John Girtin (1773–1821) include two loans he made to Thomas Girtin during the trip. The records are transcribed in full in the Documents section of the Archive (1804 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work