For full functionality of this site it is necessary to enable JavaScript. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser.
Works (?) Thomas Girtin

The King’s Mews, Charing Cross

1790 - 1791

Primary Image: TG0035: (?) Thomas Girtin (1775–1802), The King's Mews, Charing Cross, 1790–91, pen and ink on paper, 18.3 × 13.1 cm, 7 ¼ × 5 ⅛ in. London Metropolitan Archives (p5422289).

Photo courtesy of London Metropolitan Archives (City of London) (All Rights Reserved)

Description
Creator(s)
(?) Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
Title
  • The King’s Mews, Charing Cross
Date
1790 - 1791
Medium and Support
Pen and ink on paper
Dimensions
18.3 × 13.1 cm, 7 ¼ × 5 ⅛ in
Inscription

‘The King's Mews' lower centre

Part of
Object Type
Drawing for a Print
Subject Terms
London Architecture

Collection
Catalogue Number
TG0035
Description Source(s)
Viewed in 2016

About this Work

This pen and ink study of the Royal Mews in Charing Cross adopts the same format and is roughly the same size as the five signed drawings by Girtin that were engraved by Charles Taylor (1756–1823) for his periodical The Temple of Taste (TG0026, TG0030, TG0036, TG0039 and TG0043). It is therefore likely that the drawing was either rejected by Taylor for the project or intended for a continuation of the series of prints that did not materialise. The attribution of the drawing to Girtin is far from clear-cut, however. The signed drawings are all in watercolour and there are no other pen and ink studies by Girtin from the period of his apprenticeship to Edward Dayes (1763–1804) to which one can turn to confirm the attribution of this sheet. The same problem applies to three pen and ink and wash studies that also appear to be unused designs for The Temple of Taste and that appeared at auction in 2016 (Exhibitions: Christie’s, 5 July 2016, lot 69). The simple frontal views of the Whitehall front of the Horse Guards (see comparative image TG0040), Greenwich Hospital (see figure 1) and Northumberland House (see figure 2) match the format and subject of Taylor’s publication, but as with this work there is no compelling stylistic evidence to link them to the young Girtin.

The King’s Mews were built to a design of William Kent (c.1686–1748) and the main stable block was completed by 1732. The building stood on the site now occupied by the National Gallery and it was demolished in 1830, paving the way for the creation of Trafalgar Square.

1790 - 1791

An Exterior View of Henry VII’s Chapel, Westminster Abbey

TG0026

1790 - 1791

The Monument

TG0030

1792 - 1793

The East Front of St Paul’s Church, Covent Garden

TG0036

1790 - 1791

The Banqueting House, Whitehall

TG0039

1790 - 1791

The West Front of St Paul’s Cathedral

TG0043

1790 - 1791

Horse Guards Parade

TG0040

by Greg Smith

Place depicted

Revisions & Feedback

The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.

Please help us to improve this catalogue


If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.