- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- The Great Hall, Conwy Castle
- (?) 1798
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and watercolour on laid paper
- 36.8 × 28.9 cm, 14 ½ × 11 ⅜ in
- Object Type
- On-the-spot Colour Sketch
- Subject Terms
- Castle Ruins; North Wales
The Great Hall, Conwy Castle
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 320i as 'Conway Castle ... Unfinished'; '1799'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001, 2002 and 2018
Chambers Hall (1786–1855); presented to the Museum, 1855
London, 1934a, no.352; London, 1958d, section 62; London, 1972b, no.321; Manchester, 1975, no.56; London, 1985, no.78; Cleveland, 1991, no.38; London, 2002, no.60 (image reversed); Stainton, 2005, pp6–7
Binyon, 1898–1907, no.37; Binyon, 1900, pl.9; Davies, 1924, pl.66 as 'Ruins of Conway Castle'; Kitson, 1937, p.21; Mayne, 1949, p.94; Williams, 1952, p.106; Bower, 2002, p.138; Carter, Lindfield and Townshend, 2017, pp.233–34
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work