- (?) John Henderson (1764-1843)
- The Gateway of the Bishop's Palace, Wells
- 1797 - 1798
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and watercolour on laid paper, on an original washline mount
- 10.2 × 16.3 cm, 4 × 6 ⅜ in
- Object Type
- Colour Sketch: Studio Work
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 133 as 'The Gateway of Tichfield House, Hampshire (formerly called St. John's Gate, Clerkenwell)' by Thomas Girtin; '1795–6'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001
J. Palser & Sons (stock no.17926) as 'Tichfield House'; bought by Francis Henry Hill Guillemard (1852–1933), 16 April 1918 (lent to Cambridge, 1920); bequeathed to the Museum, 1933
Grundy, 1921b, p.68; Fitzwilliam Museum Online as 'Gateway of Tichfield House' by Thomas Girtin (Accessed 14/09/2022)
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work