- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- The Cain Falls (Pistyll Cain), near Dolgellau
- (?) 1798
- Medium and Support
- Graphite, watercolour and brush and ink on laid paper
- 50.1 × 60.3 cm, 19 ¾ × 23 ¾ in
- Object Type
- On-the-spot Colour Sketch; Visible Fold in the Paper
- Subject Terms
- North Wales; Waterfall Scenery
The Cain Falls (Pistyll Cain), near Dolgellau
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 322i as 'Cayne Waterfall, Merioneth ... Unfinished'; '1799'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001, 2002 and 2018
Chambers Hall (1786–1855); presented to the Museum, 1855
Manchester, 1975, no.59; London, 1985, no.77; Trento, 1993, no.10; London, 2002, no.120 as ’Cayne Waterfall, near Dolgellau, North Wales’
Ruskin, 1898, pp.184–85; Binyon, 1898–1907, no.55; Binyon, 1900, p.23; Sparrow, 1902, p.88; Finberg, 1905, pp.60–61; Binyon, 1931, p.107; Johnson, 1932, p.148; Binyon, 1933, p.104; Binyon, 1944, p.93; Hardie, 1934, p.6; Mayne, 1949, p.94; Hardie, 1966–68, vol.2, p.12; Nygren, 1982, p.15; Finch, 1991, p.39; Bower, 2002, p.138
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work