- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802) after Bartholomew Howlett (1767-1827)
- Tattershall Castle, from the South West
- (?) 1798
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and watercolour on laid paper
- 35.3 × 48.5 cm, 13 ⅞ × 19 ⅛ in
‘Girtin’ lower left, by Thomas Girtin; 'This drawing was presented / to Wm Brand Esq Collector of / the Customs by Sir Joseph Banks' on an old label attached to the backboard
- Object Type
- Studio Watercolour
- Subject Terms
- Castle Ruins; Lincolnshire
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 280 as 'Tattershall Castle, Lincolnshire'; '1798–9'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2016
Sir Joseph Banks (1743–1820); presented to William Brand, 1812; John Cust, 2nd Baron Brownlow (1779–1853); then by descent to Adelaide Florence Caroline Hooman (née Cust) (Davies, 1924); then by descent to Stella de Wergifosse; her posthumous sale, Christie's, 5 July 2016, lot 97, £62,500
Davies, 1924, pl.27
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work