- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- 1798 - 1799
- Medium and Support
- Graphite, watercolour and bodycolour on wove paper
- 15.8 × 24.3 cm, 6 ¼ × 9 ⁹⁄₁₆ in
‘Girtin’ lower left, by Thomas Girtin
- Object Type
- Colour Sketch: Studio Work
- Subject Terms
- Coasts and Shipping; The West Country: Devon and Dorset
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 200i as 'Star Cross, Devonshire ... probably done on the spot'; '1797'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001 and 2018
Thomas Girtin (1775–1802); his posthumous sale, Christie’s, 1 June 1803, lot 96 as 'Scar Cross, Devon'; bought by 'Barrett', £7 7s; his sale, Christie’s, 6 June 1804, no.98; bought by William Wells of Redleaf (1768–1847), £6 16s 6d; ... Chambers Hall (1786–1855); presented to the Museum, 1855
Binyon, 1898–1907, no.8; Davies, 1924, pl.58
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work