- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- St Vincent's Rocks from Nightingale Valley, near Bristol
- 1798 - 1799
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and watercolour on laid paper
- 44.6 × 54 cm, 17 ½ × 21 ¼ in
- Object Type
- Studio Watercolour
- Subject Terms
- River Scenery; Somerset and Bristol
- Catalogue Number
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2000
Edward Cohen (1816–87); bought 1873, £30 (lent to London, 1875); ... Christie’s, 3 April 1962, lot 167 as 'A Wooded River Landscape with Distant Tower'; Phillips, 17 April 2000, lot 182 as 'Wooded Landscape by a River with Distant Tower', £6,000; Martyn Gregory Ltd, 2000
Girtin and Loshak, 1954, p.207 as 'Untraced ... Nightingale Valley, near Bristol'; Greenacre, 2005, p.56 as 'St Vincent's Rocks from Nightingale Valley'
- 1 Dayes’ thoughts on the subject are contained in Instructions for Drawing and Coloring Landscapes which was published posthumously in 1805. It is transcribed in full in the Documents section of the Archive (1805 – Item 2).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work