- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- Sharpham House on the River Dart
- (?) 1797
- Medium and Support
- Graphite on wove paper
- 13 × 19.9 cm, 5 ⅛ × 7 ⅞ in
‘Sharpham’ lower left by Thomas Girtin; ‘near Totness - Bastard Esq. 6’ lower centre, by Thomas Girtin; ‘T Girtin’ on the back
- Object Type
- Outline Drawing
- Subject Terms
- The West Country: Devon and Dorset
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 205 as 'Sharpham, near Totnes'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001
Dr John Percy (1817–89); his posthumous sale, possibly Christie’s, 17 April 1890, lot 505 (one of 9); bought by 'Vokins', £2 2s; J & W Vokins; John Postle Heseltine (1843–1929); his posthumous sale, Sotheby’s, 29 May 1935, lot 313; volume bought by Bernard Squire, £32; bought by Thomas Girtin (1874–1960); given to Tom Girtin (1913–94), c.1938; bought by John Baskett on behalf of Paul Mellon (1907–99), 1970; presented to the Center, 1975
YCBA Online as 'Sharpham, near Totnes, Devon' (Accessed 16/09/2022)
- 1 The financial records of the artist's brother John Girtin (1773–1821) include two loans he made to Thomas Girtin during the trip. The records are transcribed in full in the Documents section of the Archive (1804 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work