- George Dance (1741-1825)
- Profile Portrait of Thomas Girtin
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and red chalk stump on wove paper
- 25.3 × 19.2 cm, 10 × 7 ½ in
'Geo: Dance / Augst. 28th. 1798' lower right, by George Dance
- Object Type
- Outline Drawing
- Subject Terms
- Portrait of Thomas Girtin
- Catalogue Number
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001 and 2018
George Dance (1741–1825); then by descent to the Revd George Dance; his sale, Christie’s, 1 July 1898, lot 55; bought by 'Colnaghi', £4 10s; bought by the Museum, 1898
London, 1901, B95; London, 1974a, no.196; London, 1989a, no.171; Edinburgh, 2008, no.97
Girtin and Loshak, 1954, p.112, p.220
- 1 Included in a verse letter from Ange Denis Macquin (1756–1823) to James Moore (1762–99). The letter is transcribed in the Documents section of the Archive (1798 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work