- Henry Edridge (1769-1821)
- Portrait Miniature of Thomas Girtin
- (?) 1796
- Medium and Support
- Watercolour and gum arabic on ivory, held in a gold frame with a glazed reverse displaying a lock of Thomas Girtin's hair
- 9.5 × 6.7 cm, 3 ¾ × 2 ⅝ in (frame: 28.3 × 25.1 × 4.4 cm, 11 ⅛ × 9 ⅞ × 1 ¾ in)
'Thomas Girtin / by / Henry Edridge ARA / inherited by Dr T C Girtin / given by him to his daughter / Mary (Barnard) / Left by her to her daughter / Ethel (Sutton). / Bought in 1935 by Sabina / wife of Thomas Girtin - / with lock of hair' on a label on the back
- Object Type
- Subject Terms
- Portrait of Thomas Girtin
Mary Ann Girtin (née Borrett) (1781–1843); then by descent to Thomas Calvert Girtin (1801–84); given to his daughter Mary Hog Barnard (1829–99); then by descent to her daughter, Ethel Sutton; bought by Sabina Girtin, née Cooper (1878–1959), 1935; Tom Girtin (1913–94); bought from his estate, 20 July 1996 by Professor Ian Craft (1937–2019); his sale, Sotheby's, 14 July 2010, lot 69, unsold; Lowell Libson Ltd, 2010–13; bought by the Center, 2013
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.