- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- Plumpton Rocks, near Knaresborough
- 1800 - 1801
- Medium and Support
- Graphite, watercolour and scratching out on laid paper
- 66 × 100.7 cm, 26 × 39 ⅝ in
- Subject Terms
- Lake Scenery; The Landscape Park; Yorkshire View
Plumpton Rocks, near Knaresborough
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 271 as 'Plompton Rocks. Near Knaresborough'; 'Possibly done in collaboration with another artist of the Monro School'; '1798'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001
Edward Lascelles (1764–1814); then by descent to Henry Lascelles, 4th Earl of Harewood (1824–92); his sale, Christie’s, 1 May 1858, lot 28 as 'A romantick lake scene, with rocky banks'; bought by 'Palser', £8 15s; J. Palser & Sons; Thomas Girtin (1874–1960); sold to Walker's Galleries, London, 1918; Sotheby’s, 15 December 1920, lot 196 as 'Lake in Harewood Park'; P. J. Moore; bought by the Museum, 1920
Davies, 1924, p.20 as 'Lake at Harewood' with John Laporte; V&A, 1927, p.233 as 'Lake in Harewood Park, Yorkshire'; Hardie, 1934, p.5; Girtin and Loshak, 1954, p.32, pp.64–65; Lambourne and Hamilton, 1980, p.151; Smith, 2002b, p.73
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work