- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- Okehampton Castle
- (?) 1797
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and watercolour on laid paper
- 30.8 × 44.8 cm, 12 ⅛ × 17 ⅝ in
- Object Type
- On-the-spot Colour Sketch
- Subject Terms
- Castle Ruins; The West Country: Devon and Dorset
- Private Collection, Norfolk
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 287ii as 'Unfinished'; '1799'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001 and April 2022
Thomas Calvert Girtin (1801–74); then by descent to George Wyndham Girtin (1836–1912); by a settlement to his sister, Ida Johanna Hog Rogge, née Girtin (1834–1925), January 1880; sold by her to J. Palser & Sons (stock no.15474); bought by Sir Hickman Bacon (1855–1945), 1 April 1901, £20; then by descent
- 1 The financial records of the artist's brother John Girtin (1773–1821) include two loans he made to Thomas Girtin during the trip. The records are transcribed in full in the Documents section of the Archive (1804 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work