- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- Kingswear, from Dartmouth
- (?) 1797
- Medium and Support
- Graphite on wove paper (watermark: J WHATMAN)
- 25 × 41.1 cm, 9 ⅞ × 16 ⅛ in
‘Girtin’ lower left, by Thomas Girtin; ‘Village of Kingswear from Dartmouth’ lower centre, by Thomas Girtin; ‘village of Kingswear from Dartmouth - / T. Girtin’ and ‘Girtin’, on the back
- Object Type
- Outline Drawing
- Subject Terms
- Coasts and Shipping; The West Country: Devon and Dorset
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 206i as 'Village of Kingswere, from Dartmouth'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001
Charles Sackville Bale (1791–1880); his posthumous sale, Christie’s, 16 May 1881, lot 391 (9 items); bought by 'Palser', £3 5s; J. Palser & Sons; Edward Cohen (1816–87); then by bequest to his niece, Isabella Oswald (1838–1905); her posthumous sale, Robins & Hine, 30 March 1905, lot unknown; bought by Thomas Girtin (1874–1960), £1; given to Tom Girtin (1913–94), c.1938; bought by John Baskett on behalf of Paul Mellon (1907–99), 1970; presented to the Center, 1975
Davies, 1924, pl.57; Morris, 1986, p.17
- 1 The financial records of the artist's brother John Girtin (1773–1821) include two loans he made to Thomas Girtin during the trip. The records are transcribed in full in the Documents section of the Archive (1804 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work