- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- Great Surrey Street and Christ Church, Southwark: Outline Study for the Eidometropolis, Section Two
- (?) 1801
- Medium and Support
- Graphite, pen and ink and brush and ink on wove paper, squared for transfer
- 28.1 × 50.5 cm, 11 ⅛ × 19 ⅞ in
Grid numbered along the top '2' to '16' and '3' to '9' from the bottom (square 10 not noted); one of the squares is marked ‘6 3’ to signify inches. Various roofs are annotated ‘slate’ and the rotunda is marked ‘glass’. A later inscription on the back shows through.
Thomas Lowinsky (1892–1947) (his collector's mark, Lugt no.2420a); Ruth J. Emilie Lowinsky (1893–1958); ... Sotheby's, 22 December 1965, lot 122; Mrs E. A. Isaacs; her sale, Christie’s, 15 June 1971, lot 129 as 'A Panoramic View of London Looking South from Blackfriars Bridge at Albion Place'; bought by 'Elson', £945; Sotheby’s, 18 July 1974, lot 127; bought by Paul Mellon (1907–99), £800; presented to the Center, 1977
- 1 This highly informative review is transcribed in full in the Documents section of the Archive (1802 - Item 5).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.