- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802) and Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775-1851) after John Robert Cozens (1752-1797)
- A Wooded Shoreline on Lake Maggiore
- 1794 - 1797
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and watercolour on wove paper, on an early mount
- 17.7 × 22.8 cm, 7 × 9 in
- Mount Dimensions
- 36.3 × 49.5 cm, 14 ¼ × 19 ½ in
- Part of
- A volume owned by Dr Thomas Monro, now part of the Turner Bequest
Dr Thomas Monro (1759–1833); his posthumous sale, Christie's, 28 June 1833, lot 78 as ‘A book containing 62 interesting sketches in the neighbourhood of Rome and Naples, by Turner, in Indian ink and blue’; bought by Thomas Griffith on behalf of Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775–1851), £21; accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest, 1856
- 1 The full diary entry, giving crucial details of the artists’ work at Monro’s house, is transcribed in the Documents section of the Archive (1798 – Item 2).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.