- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- A Panoramic View near Lyme Regis
- 1797 - 1798
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and watercolour on laid paper, on a mount of wove paper
- 24 × 54.9 cm, 9 ½ × 21 ⅝ in
- Object Type
- Studio Watercolour
- Subject Terms
- Panoramic Format; The West Country: Devon and Dorset
A View near Lyme Regis
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 239 as 'Above Lyme Regis, Dorset'
- Description Source(s)
- Exhibition Catalogue; Gallery Website
Edward Cohen (1816–87); then by bequest to his niece, Annie Sophia Poulter (c.1846–1924); then by descent to Edward Alexander Poulter (1883–1973); J. Palser & Sons; bought by Victor Rienaecker (1887–1972), 25 May 1926; Winifred M. Church; her sale, Sotheby’s, 4 May 1949, lot 2; bought by Thos. Agnew & Sons, £460; bought by the Gallery, 1950
Morris, 1986, p.17
- 1 The financial records of the artist's brother John Girtin (1773–1821) include two loans he made to Thomas Girtin during the trip. The records are transcribed in full in the Documents section of the Archive (1804 – Item 1).
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work