- Thomas Girtin (1775-1802)
- A Lake Scene with Two Herons, Possibly in Cassiobury Park
- 1798 - 1800
- Medium and Support
- Graphite and watercolour on wove paper
- 26.2 × 30.9 cm, 10 ¼ × 12 ⅛ in
‘no 17’ on the back
- Object Type
- Studio Watercolour
- Subject Terms
- Hertfordshire; Lake Scenery; The Landscape Park
- Catalogue Number
- Girtin & Loshak Number
- 418 as 'Lake with Herons ... Possibly at Cassiobury Park'; '1800-1'
- Description Source(s)
- Viewed in 2001
George Capel-Coningsby, 5th Earl of Essex (1757–1839); given to Richard Ford (1796–1858), 1824; then by descent; Sotheby's, 19 October 1949, lot 90; bought by P & D Colnaghi & Co., £170; James Leslie Wright (1862–1954); presented to the Museum, 1953
Agnew’s, 1953a, no.43 as ’A lake with Herons’; Worthing, 1960, no.65; Lyons, 1966, no.61; Bourges, 1970, no.55
Davies, 1924, p.26, pl.16 as 'Lake with Herons (probably at Cassiobury)'; Rose, 1980, p.57
Revisions & Feedback
The website will be updated from time to time and, when changes are made, a PDF of the previous version of each page will be archived here for consultation and citation.
Please help us to improve this catalogue
If you have information, a correction or any other suggestions to improve this catalogue, please contact us.
About this Work