Biographies: Collectors, Dealers, Family, Fellow Artists, Patrons
William Smith (1808 - 1876)
William Smith (1808–76), together with his brother George Smith (d.1878), succeeded to his father’s printselling business in 1835. Following the firm’s closing sales in 1848–49, William proved a generous patron of the arts, donating parts of his collection of watercolours, including six works by or attributed to Girtin, to the South Kensington Museum and to the National Gallery of Ireland, the latter receiving Jedburgh from the River, with the Abbey Beyond (TG1723).
1800 - 1801
Jedburgh from the River, with the Abbey Beyond