Sir John Charles Robinson (1824–1913) was trained in Paris as an artist but was better known as an arts administrator, teacher and collector. He became superintendent of the art collections at the South Kensington Museum upon its foundation in 1852, and later he was appointed Surveyor of the Queen’s Pictures. The British watercolours and drawings he owned were only a small part of his extensive collections of textiles, sculptures and ceramics, but they included six either by or attributed to Girtin, including The Gatehouse of Morpeth Castle (TG1540).

(?) 1800

The Gatehouse of Morpeth Castle